Donald Trump is the President Elect.
This guy, is President Elect:
This guy, right here, is President Elect:
And that's the tip of the iceberg. Russia. Conflict of interest with business and government. FBI involvement in the election. Calling the electoral system rigged. Encouraging violence. Insane racism. The KKK is doing a rally to celebrate his victory.
My stomach is churning. My heart is hurting. My eyes are burning. I have nothing perfect and wonderful to say that will change any of this, or help any of my grieving friends and neighbors.
These are just some of my recent thoughts that are keeping me from jumping off the deep end:
- Hillary did win the popular vote, which means that the majority of voters don't support Trump's misogyny, racism, and hate.
- The vote in several swing states, including my new home state of NC, were really, really, really close. So let's relocate more progressives to these areas! We don't have to all live in cities anymore... and reality is quality of life in these areas is wonderful. Take a risk - join me, move! Move! Move! Ask your job to let you work from home and come make a real difference in this struggle.
- There's a lot of great fiction out there in literature - enjoy it. And great art. And healthy food.
- Work out. A lot.
- Sleep. As much as you need.
- Spend time with friends who support progressive causes. There will be a time to come together and learn to listen to people with different opinions, but it's okay right now to just lick the wounds for a bit and talk with people who support me.
I am starting to feel like myself again. I'm not crying every 20 minutes. I am going to go help chase votes (don't ask me what that exactly means) for Roy Cooper. He's ahead and homophobic crazy Gov McCrory is building up a legal fund to keep this recount and whatever other crazy election stuff can happen here in NC. So at least there is that.
There is no way to know exactly what is the best thing to do right now. Where do we go from here? Go volunteer and put effort in wherever you want to and what makes you feel great -- seriously. I'm going to go figure out what I can do to fight sexual assault. It's not okay. It's really not okay. And it's absolutely NOT okay that we are going to have a man in office who is so clearly a sexual predator. There is no way I can stop sexual assault and I have no idea what my efforts are even going to look like -- am going to start with a local group here and see what happens. I have to believe that I can make a difference. Or at least tell myself I can until I believe it again.